We are Gigaclear plc of Windrush Court, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 1SY. Where we refer to ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’, this means Gigaclear and our group companies. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act, Gigaclear plc is the data controller and our registration number is Z330727X. Gigaclear and its group companies are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
You are a customer of Gigaclear or one of our group companies who enters into a contract with us for services, visits www.gigaclear.com (our “site”), or a person who has communicated with us at an event, by phone, email or other means.
This policy (together with our Residential Broadband Terms, Business Broadband Terms and any other documents referred to in it) sets out how we use any information we collect from you, or that you provide to us (“Customer Data”, “data” or “information”). Customer Data may be both personal data for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”) and other information, such as the personal details of representatives associated with your business if you are a business customer.
Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding Customer Data and how we will treat it. By visiting our site and/or buying services from us, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site or in person or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you purchase any of our services, participate in social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, register to attend any events hosted by us and when you report a problem. The information you give us may include your name, any relevant business name, address, email address and phone number, financial and credit card information.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site, we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) you access, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this site. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
- Communications data. We may collect and retain certain types of communications data for any of the following purposes:
- Traffic management;
- Customer and prospect enquiries;
- Anti-fraud measures.
We do not monitor what you do on the internet, ie. what web sites you visit or the content of your emails or messages sent via other messaging services. The only exception to this is where we are required to provide certain information in order to enable us to comply with any requirements imposed on us by law or court order.
Information collected by third parties
Please note that third party service providers such as telephone, mobile phone, wi-fi or other communications services which provide a service to you using Gigaclear’s Broadband, may also separately collect, access and retain data about you and your use of services across the Internet.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations and to enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box that is displayed on-screen during the check-out process;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device; and
- to comply with any legal obligations we have as an Internet service provider.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to allow us to deliver our services to you (including any associated functionality such as parental controls on Internet access, maintenance, assistance or troubleshooting) and to allow us to understand and manage traffic flows on our network;
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and the device through which you are viewing the site;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site and our services safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them; and
- to comply with any legal obligations we have as an Internet service provider.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may share your Customer Data with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
We may disclose your Customer Data to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose Customer Data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Gigaclear or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case Customer Data we hold about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share Customer Data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our standard terms and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Gigaclear, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we store Customer Data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your Customer Data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Retention of your information
We keep certain information about how you use our Internet services for 12 months. This information may be used by law enforcement agencies to prevent and detect crime and to protect national security (but we only disclose information to them when we’re legally required to). If we think there’s been crime, fraud, misuse of, or damage to, our network, we’ll use this information for our internal investigations and any subsequent prosecution(s). We will also provide it in reply to other lawful requests for information.
You have the right to ask us not to process your Customer Data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal or confidential data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access personal information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.