24th October 2011
Hambleton’s Network Builders Throw A Party As They Switch On Joint Funded Fibre To The Home Network
RUTLAND, Saturday October 29th at 11.15 – a champagne reception and a symbolic ‘switch on’ marks success for Gigaclear and ISP Rutland Telecom who have created Rutland’s first Fibre To The Home village.
Through a network jointly funded by Gigaclear and a private finance group from the village, over two-thirds of Hambleton’s residents will receive some of the fastest internet connection speeds in the UK – outstripping global internet speed leaders South Korea.
Construction began in September after the Michelin Star Hambleton Hotel and Restaurant called in experts Rutland Telecom. The local ISP is recognised worldwide for the delivery of an unprecedented Community Broadband Service in nearby Rutland village Lyddington, and quickly started work with the Hotel in their quest to give guests super-fast broadband.
Through its search for infrastructure partners, Rutland Telecom was soon discovered by Gigaclear who recognised a strategically important opportunity to bring the ISP under the Gigaclear umbrella of expertise in network build and service delivery.
Gigaclear then leveraged powerful industry knowledge and specialist contacts to build a supply chain and delivery team that has created a state-of-the art fibre network.
Global telecommunication giants ZTE now partners with Gigaclear and provided core equipment necessary for the point-to-point fibre solution.
Fibre specialists AFL designed and planned the physical optical fibre network and connected each property to the telecoms cabinet in the village.
Cutting edge Icotera routers ensure residents’ broadband is fully capable of delivering symmetric (up and down) speeds of 1000 Mbps.
The knowledge, technology, and innovation embodied in the Gigaclear network through its own expertise and that of its partners catapults Hambleton village to the forefront domestic and rural internet connectivity, multi-device computing, and broadband capacity.
Ed Burrows, Chairman of Discover Rutland says:
‘For our small and beautiful County it is essential that we offer excellent internet services for tourists and business visitors. These are discerning consumers who demand more from online services and technology.
Now, in 2011 we have two excellent hospitality businesses in Hambleton leading the way for Rutland in providing fibre-optic internet services to their customers.
We are seeing significant resources coming in to Rutland from private enterprise in terms of investment, technology, and service innovation. I look forward to seeing more examples of this entrepreneurial spirit throughout the County.’
At a time when the Government has yet to release funds for pilot Broadband projects, and Rural Broadband Projects still remain undefined; 1 Gigabit Broadband connection in the heart of the smallest county in the country demonstrates what is possible. When the right people with the right motivation, skills, and resources move in harmony a modern culture with an exploding bandwidth demand can be satisfied, and dare it be said… even delighted?
Notes for editors:
- Rutland Telecom delivers Broadband Services, Computer Services, and Telecoms Consultancy. www.rutlandtelecom.co.uk
- ZTE is a publicly-listed global provider of telecommunications equipment and network solutions with 500 corporate customers in more than 140 countries. ZTE is a member of the UN Global Compact and is China’s only listed telecom manufacturer, publicly traded on both the Hong Kong and Shenzhen Stock Exchanges (H share stock code: 0763.HK / A share stock code: 000063.SZ). www.zteuk.co.uk
- AFL has operations in the U.S., Mexico, Europe and Asia. The company is headquartered in Spartanburg, SC, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujikura Ltd. of Japan. For more information, visit www.AFLglobal.com.
- Icotera is a leader in innovative and smarter home gateway products for fibre-to-the-home network and support next generation broadband operators throughout Europe combining future-proof gigabit connectivity with zero-touch management, smarter features and sophisticated technical support. http://www.icotera.com/
- Rutland Telecom delivers the fastest ADSL service http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1318874/Why-internet-slow-whos-got-fastest-web-connection.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
- EU Vice President is ‘inspired’ by Rutland Telecom http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=SPEECH/10/582&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en
For more information in the first instance, contact:
Marketing and Communications
Tel: 01572 858 858
Desk: 01572 850 080
Fax: 01572 858 072